Monday, June 11, 2007

AN EYE OPENER

"An ex-serviceman is being left to go blind in one eye before the National Health Service will consider treating him for a condition affecting 250,000 people in the UK. Leslie Howard, 76, noticed problems with his right eye in November and was diagnosed with wet age-related macular degeneration two months ago. His sight could be saved by a course of treatment involving new drugs which could cost more than £6,000 a year. .. Mr Howard, who retired 17 years ago, said: "I can't believe I'm being left to go blind in one eye. I've spent most of my working life devoted to public service, I was in the Army, police and prison service and I've never failed to pay my dues." (Daily Telegraph, 25 April) Capitalism has a strange sense of values, it is reluctant to pay £6,000 to save a worker's sight yet spends £40,000 a year keeping murderers like Michael Sams in prison! RD

No comments: