Friday, November 09, 2018

Scottish Poverty

Campaigners have called for more action to be taken to help the one million people in Scotland living in poverty.

The Poverty Alliance said that 230,000 children are included in the one-million figure
Tracy Gilmour, a former social worker and mental health officer, said: “I’ve been living on income support since I had to stop working because of my mental health 18 months ago.

“The benefits I receive aren’t enough to meet my family’s basic needs and I carry around guilt at not being able to provide them with everything they deserve. The pressure and demands of daily life are a constant battle. It’s exhausting having to hide it from my two daughters and to constantly make excuses for why we can’t do things.
 A simple request for a school trip payment is enough to make me feel like we’re sinking and losing our grip.”
https://www.careappointments.co.uk/care-news/scotland/item/45500-more-needs-to-be-done-to-help-million-people-in-scotland-living-in-poverty

No comments: