Friday, November 29, 2013

A 'Greed Is Good' Mentality

Politicians like to portray themselves as humane caring people who desire a more caring society, but from time to time the mask slips and they reveal their real goals. Here is an obvious example when the Mayor of London was addressing businessmen. 'Boris Johnson has  launched a bold bid to claim the mantle of Margaret Thatcher by declaring that inequality is essential to fostering "the spirit of envy" and hailed greed as a "valuable spur to economic activity". In an attempt to shore up his support on the Tory right, as he positions himself as the natural successor to David Cameron, the London mayor called for the "Gordon Gekkos of London" to display their greed to promote economic growth.' (Guardian, 27 November) RD

1 comment:

Mike McDade said...

Once upon a time, I used to love this guy for his comedic qualities. I used to be able to match some of his qualities with those displayed by the senior management in the bank I worked in. I thought it was all a game.

Nowadays, I don't find his antics quite so funny. I find them very offensive and frightening.